How to choose a video surveillance system?
The video surveillance system is considered the primary security element of each institution, so it is important to consider a lot of things when choosing the right solution for specific needs. It is clear that this can be a difficult task for the buyer, even simply based on an impressive selection of modern CCTV cameras and manufacturers. To move in the right direction, below are five questions to consider when choosing a video surveillance kit.
1. Why do you need a video surveillance system?
Today, there are many options for CCTV cameras with a mass of various functions and capabilities to meet all kinds of security needs. Some common uses for CCTV:
- Perimeter security;
- Protection against theft and intrusion of strangers;
- Observation of social events;
- Monitoring business operations;
- Capture security events.
A properly designed video surveillance system provides the facility with a chance to provide internal and external coverage of a building or property. Certain areas of the building may have their own needs, so it is important to consult with a consultant from a trusted security store when choosing a camcorder model to ensure that the device meets specific requirements.
A trained security consultant will work with the user to consider the following issues:
- What do you need to capture using camcorders?
- Do you need indoor or outdoor cameras?
- Are there personal or changing lighting conditions at the facility?
- Do you need visual identification or situational awareness?
2. Is there a need for smart camcorders?
Video analytics is considered the most widely used option in current surveillance cameras . Video analytics can help in a variety of ways:
- Eliminating the need for the user to constantly monitor the video;
- Providing alerts based on predefined trigger events;
- Help with finding videos for specific events;
- The difference between animals or vehicles from people;
- Identification of abnormal events in daily activities;
Video analytics is a useful tool that will make video surveillance kits work more intelligently. This will allow the security system to function more efficiently and reduce the load required to control the cameras.
3. Storage of records in a local area network, a video recorder or a cloud?
Traditionally, local storage of video was carried out using DVRs. These devices are located in the building and can be used to control multiple surveillance cameras and video recording. To record footage, a significant amount of data is required, and the security system integrator will help determine the storage needs and develop a process for processing footage as soon as the DVR reaches its capacity.
As an alternative, cloud platforms today are considered a growing trend for some users. In this scenario, all management and storage of the video moves to the cloud server, which eliminates the need for a video recorder or physical server in the enterprise.
4. Do you need integration with other security systems?
Video surveillance capabilities increase when it is integrated to work in tandem with other elements and accessories for security systems . When the video surveillance solution is properly integrated, it can increase productivity through collaboration and perform tasks such as push notifications of critical events.
The options and capabilities of video surveillance will depend on the allocated financial resources. You can build a reliable security system for almost any budget. However, it may be necessary to reduce or eliminate some functions based on established financial resources. It is important to know what features and options are suitable for a particular solution. In addition, the security integrator must interact with the client to ensure that the equipment is suitable for the future – this will allow the security system to grow with the user.